Monday, August 20, 2012

How To Cook Brown Rice


I found this cooking tip from 
and it really does work!  Takes the same amount of time as white rice and so much more healthy!
"Brown rice is seems to be a little more temperamental to cook than white rice...... but over the last few years I have perfected my method (well at least I think so).
There are 2 VERY IMPORTANT RULES when cooking brown rice:

Now there are as many methods to cooking brown rice as there are varieties of rice (7,000 varieties if you can believe that) but if I  use FRESH RICE and NO SALT   I can cook short grain or long grain rice on the stove with a 2:1 ratio (2 cups water to 1 cup rice). Simply bring rice and water to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, cover and turn the heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Check rice after 15 minutes...if the water seems too low just add a little (don't stress).  When your rice is done you can season it with salt......"


1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the salt part. Our Best Bites had a thing about brown rice which I found interesting http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/08/how-to-make-perfect-brown-rice/. They suggested baking it in the oven rather than on the stove which sounds intriguing. It just takes awhile is the only downside. It would be interesting to try out. I bought brown rice awhile ago and need to start using it. So thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete