Saturday, August 25, 2012

I Heart Hummus


I couldn’t bring myself to only give this post the title “Hummus” for two reasons. First, because I love hummus so much. Second, because I really love this recipe. It is easy, fast, and tastes delicious! Hummus is fairly cheap to make except for the tahini. Remember when you buy the jar that it will last for at least a couple of recipes. That is how I make myself feel better for spending so much money on one item. When you make this DO NOT USE YOUR MAGIC BULLET!! The bullet does not have the power you need to fully blend the garbanzo beans/chickpeas. If you try to use your bullet you will subsequently want to throw out all of your almost made hummus and your entire magic bullet. Been there almost did that. Pull out your more powerful blender for this recipe. 

Hummus
3 tbsp. juice from 1-2 lemons
1/4 cup water
6 tbsp. tahini, stirred well
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 tsp.)
1/2tsp. table salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. minced fresh cilantro or parsley

Directions:
Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl or measuring cup.  Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.  Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.

Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds.  Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through food tube.  Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute.  With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through food tube, continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface, cover with plastic wrap and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes.  Drizzle with olive oil and serve.


My mouth is watering just thinking about this. I am making some tonight. Here are my three favorite things to do with hummus.

1)    Eat with fresh veggies or cut up pita bread
2)    Greek Seven-Layer Dip. I had this at a Christmas party last year. Let’s just say I parked myself next to it and ate at least a fourth of it. It’s really good. Here’s a link for one recipe. I know this is breaking the rules because I haven’t tried this recipe but the dip I had was just like this except the bottom cream cheese layer. And lets face it who doesn’t like cream cheese?
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/12/7-layer-greek-dip/
3)    Last but not least I love hummus in a healthy wrap for lunch or light dinner. Simply get a spinach tortilla, spread with humus, and layer some veggies. I like to do spinach, tomatoes,  cucumber, shredded carrots, and banana peppers. The banana peppers are a must have in this wrap because they add a sweetness that is to die for.  Drizzle some balsamic vinegar over the top and wrap it up. To make it a little more filling add a layer of quinoa and top with some crumbled feta cheese. (More to come about quinoa so just wait!)

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! Now I just need your Greek Yogurt recipe. oh ya....and all of your Indian Food recipes. Get to work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am excited for your posts about Quinoa. I am not very familiar with it, where to buy it and how to use it. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete