Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Curry Soup


I have welcomed soup season with open arms. If only Andrew felt the same way… I try to make one soup or stew a week and it has been hugely successful. I love this recipe for three reasons.

1)    It is easy
2)    It is inexpensive
3)    Not only did I love it Andrew and Annie loved it. I made it for the second time the other night and Annie had three servings of it.

The recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens. I thank my client that showed up late one day so I could peruse the magazines we have in the waiting room. I hope you like it!

Sweet Potato Curry Soup

2 lb. Sweet potato
3 green onions
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
3/4-1 tsp. Curry powder

1)    Pierce potatoes in several places with a knife. Microwave on high for ten minutes or until tender, turning once. Halve the potatoes length wise. Hold with oven mitt; scoop flesh into food processor. Add onions and half the broth and process until smooth. I added the green onions in the middle of  my potatoes. That way all of the onion got cut/blended correctly. The first time I made this soup I added them to the top and found it hard to get them cut and blended in like I wanted.
2)    Transfer potatoes, cream, and remaining broth to large saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Stir in curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. Start off with half a teaspoon of curry. Andrew and I (and apparently Annie) really love curry. I added even more than a teaspoon. However the soup is still very tasty without the curry if you’re worried your kids won’t eat it. I also used half a cup of milk and half a cup of cream this last time and it still tasted really good. Next time I may try all milk, however I’m afraid it will be a lot less creamy without it. If you get rid of the cream all together let me know how you liked it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment