Monday, September 10, 2012

Sloppy Joes

Brad and I had to make sloppy joes for a ward campout this last week and I went to our family cookbook expecting to find the Sloppy Joe recipe that mom would make growing up (I believe that it is Grandma Wallace's recipe).  I realized that it was not in there.  So I pulled out mom's old fashioned recipe card box and made a copy of the recipe.  I thought you might enjoy having it as well so here you go!

Sloppy Joes
1 lb. ground beef- browned
1/4 cup chopped onion- lightly browned
1/4 cup celery*
1/4 cup green pepper*
1 can tomato soup, undiluted
1 T sugar
1 T vinegar
1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients together and simmer for 1 hour.

*Mom says she didn't put celery or green pepper in because us kids would have thrown a fit :).  It would be a great way to get some extra veggies in though- especially if you dice them small enough!

*Also I thought Brad's family was crazy for adding these two toppings on top of Sloppy Joes but it is actually quite delicious and now do it in our family.  Spread some sour cream on the bun and put some cheddar cheese in the sandwich as well.  It's pretty tasty!


1 comment:

  1. That is funny it isn't in your cookbook, it is in mine. I just made them the other day! I will have to try it with the sour cream and cheese....interesting! P.s. I put the green onions and celery in mine and my kids do just fine.

    ReplyDelete